Thursday, October 24, 2013

Lessons from Smurfs

I took Doran and a friend to see The Smurfs 2 yesterday as a pre-birthday celebration. I expected to tolerate it at best, especially considering the reviews. I had no idea I'd be moved by one simple but powerful statement:

" We rise to the amount of love we're shown and sink only when that love stops."

These words by Papa Smurf really got me to thinking about unconditional love and its qualities. I say I love my son unconditionally, but I often lose patience with his growing process or take out my bad mood on him. I can admit I sometimes treat him differently when he misbehaves (and I'm not talking about enforcing natural consequences). I sometimes forget that I want love to motivate my actions, not ego.

After crying a few minutes over the ways I feel I've failed my son and other loved ones, I arrived at a state of gratitude. I can keep trying to show my son (and all people for that matter) the love they need to rise high.

Thanks, Papa Smurf, for the timely reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment