Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Trial and Error

Last month just flew right on by and I have a feeling this month will follow a similar pattern.  I love this time of year so very much but it passes much too quickly!

Homeschooling is still going well, but I've adopted a trial and error approach to what works and what doesn't.  When I started the year, I didn't have a schedule as much as a task list.  It wasn't a matter of when we did something, just that we did it.  This worked for about 2-3 weeks and then Doran started to show signs of disinterest and resistance.  I had resorted to what I know best, which is books and worksheets.  I was the type of person who loved the rote memorization, enjoyed timed math drills, eagerly awaited the summer reading lists.

This is not Doran's style.

So we took a week off.  I won't say we completely abandoned education, but we relaxed.  We played games.  We played outside.  We played on the computer and watched TV.  We talked.  We read (because I just couldn't give that part up).  We laughed.  We cried.  We were together and we were happy.  And then I realized we may be more suited to unschooling than I originally thought we might.

That's not an easy path to take, but it's so much fun.  We have no agenda.  We just live in the world and allow it to teach us accordingly.  We observe nature and its cycles.  We play games that encourage us to use strategy, reading and math skills.  We look at maps, I share my short travel history with him, and we plan future trips.  He asks why and together we find answers.  We read and read and read some more.  And most of all, I have stopped placing so many judgments on the activities he finds entertaining and fascinating.  When he wants to spend half an hour telling me the nuances of Minecraft, you better believe I'm all ears.  And when he says to me, "Mom, it would mean so much to me if you would just try playing and see what it's like," then you better believe I'm giving it my best shot.

In the past month I've seen my son reemerge.  He's more considerate, compassionate, attentive.  He argues less at helping with chores and even volunteers to lend a hand when I least expect it.  Don't misunderstand me, he's still sassy and impolite and disrespectful at times, but it's not the struggle it used to be.  I chalk it up to normal growing pains and instead of feeling intensely irritated, I try to view those moments as more opportunities to model the behavior I wish I see.  And you know what?  I find myself growing as a person in the process too. It's not easy, but man is it beautiful to reflect upon.

I sometimes doubt myself and wish I had a more reliable measuring stick for how he's doing.  But when I really look at the situation and see the kind of boy he is, I know we're doing the right thing.  

His birthday is coming up soon, and I'm currently in the throes of creating a lovely but simple Minecraft party.  So far he's excited about the ideas I've presented, so I trust it will be a success.  Pictures will definitely follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment